Marked by the National Heritage Board
Alexandra Hospital, opened in 1940, stands on the site of an earlier Alexandra Indian barracks which was established around 1908. The new military hospital was built to serve the increased number of British troops stationed in Singapore, as part of British preparation for a war in Singapore.
Danish Seamen's Church (Former Golden Bell Mansion)
Completed in 1910 by philanthropist Tan Boo Liat, great-grandson of Tan Tock Seng, the former Golden Bell Mansion was named after Tan Boo Liat’s grandfather Tan Kim Ching, whose name means golden bell.
Execution of Captured Rimau Commandos Historic Marker
Operation Rimau (“tiger” in Malay) was the second Allied commando attack that targeted Japanese ships in Keppel Harbour. It took place from late September to early October 1944 during the Second World War.
Gan Eng Seng School
In 1885, Gan Eng Seng founded a free school for poor boys in Singapore. Initially named the Anglo-Chinese Free School, it was among the earliest schools to offer a bilingual education. The school moved to its first new building about 50 metres behind Telok Ayer Chinese Methodist Church in 1893. It became known as Gan Eng Seng School in 1923.
Geylang Serai is the social centre of the Malays in Singapore. This once agricultural area was known for the fragrant lemon grass - Serai - grown as a cash crop by the Malays who were resettled from the Singapore River mouth in the 1840s. The name Geylang Serai is said to be derived from a lemon grass factory "Kilang Serai" located east of Kallang River.
Havelock Road Camp / River Valley Road Camp
The area bounded by River Valley Road and Havelock Road was occupied by Prisoner-of-War (POW) camps during the Japanese Occupation (1942-1945). The Havelock Road/River Valley Road camps comprised groups of dilapidated attap huts which housed thousands of POWs.
Japanese Propaganda Department Headquarters
Formerly housing the British Malaya Broadcasting Corporations before WWII, it was turned into a Japanese propaganda office during the Japanese Occupation. It was later also used by Lord Louis Mountbatten as the headquarters for the Japanese Surrender in 1945.
Keppel Harbour has been a thriving maritime gateway for international trade since the late 19th century. It was originally known as New Harbour and was renamed in honour of Admiral Henry Keppel in 1900. From 1939 to the early 1940s, Allied soldiers came through this harbour to strengthen the defence of Singapore and the rest of Malaya.
Pasir Panjang Machine-Gun Pillbox
Pillboxes were built in the 1930s to strengthen Singapore’s coastal defence as part of British preparation for a war in Singapore. The pillboxes were equipped with machine guns and positioned at strategic intervals to allow their fields of fires to overlap and reinforce each other.
Pearl’s Hill School
Established in 1876 at Cross Street and formerly known as the Singapore Chinese Branch School, Pearl’s hill Primary School was among the pioneer batch of Government Schools set up by the colonial government. The school ceased it operations at its Pearl’s site on 31 December in 2001.
Pondok Peranakan Gelam Club
Registered on 4 April 1932, this club was set up by the Baweanese to cater for the needs of fellow immigrants from the Gelam province of Bawean Island, Indonesia. During the racial riots in 1945 and 1964, the Baweanese residents there were sheltered by their Chinese neighbours.
Singapore Armed Forces Warrant Officers and Specialists Club
The British Government built the clubhouse in 1951 for British non-commissioned officers. It was handed over to Singapore Government when the British pulled out in 1969.The SAF WOSE club was formed in 1974 and was formerly known as the SAF NCO Club until it was renamed in 1994.
Syonan Jinja, together with Syonan Chureito (a Japanese war memorial in Bukit Batok), was built in 1942 in memory of the Japanese soldiers who died fighting in the invasion of Singapore. It was named after Singapore, which was known as Syonan-To (“Light of the South”) during the Japanese Occupation (1942-1945).
United Chinese Library
The United Chinese Library was inaugurated at Armenian Street on 8 August 1910 by Dr. Sun Yat Sen. Initially set up to promote general knowledge and culture, it also disseminated revolutionary ideas and generated support for the Chinese Revolution against the Manchu rulers.