Founded in 1895, it is one of the oldest millionaires club in Singapore. The club was the centre of the Chinese Salvation Movement in Southeast Asia from 1937-1942. Originally located at Duxton Hill, it moved to Club Street before settling at this location in 1952.
From 1937 to the fall of Singapore in 1942, the club was the nerve centre of the China Salvation Movement in Southeast Asia.
After World War II, the club continued to be active in community services and charity work. It has also been a focal point where Chinese businessman socialise and forge ties.
This plaque was unveiled by the President of the Republic of Singapore His Excellency Mr Ong Teng Cheong on 18th October 1995.