Established in 1978 and rebuilt in 2011, Ang Mo Kio Joint Temple houses three temples from former villages in Ang Mo Kio. The temples, Gao Lin Gong, Kim Eang Tong and Leng San Giam, relocated to their present site when their villages were redeveloped in the 1970s.
Gao Lin Gong
Founded in 1888 by immigrants with the surname Huang from Nan An county, Fujian province, Gao Lin Gong, the oldest of the three temples, originated from Kow Tiow Kio (“nine bridges” in Hokkien), an area along present-day Ang Mo Kio Avenue 1. The temple has always been popular among locals seeking divine help for sickness and advice on farming and well-being. The current joint temple is founded at the original location of Gao Lin Gong.
Kim Eang Tong
Established in 1961 at Cheok Sua (“rock hill” in Hokkien), a village located near the present-day Mayflower estate, Kim Eang Tong is the only temple in Singapore of the Kim Eang religious order, which is based on the teachings of Buddhism and Taoism. Originally exclusive to the Hakka community, the order has accepted non-Hakka followers since the 1950s.
Leng San Giam
Founded in the 1950s, Leng San Giam was established by immigrants with the surname Chew, from Yongchun county, Fujian province. They built their temple on the former Cheng San Road, which ran parallel to present-day Ang Mo Kio Ave 3. Dedicated to the deity Fa Chu Gong, the temple was known for works of miracles and divining “lucky numbers” for betting.