The Hongkong and Shanghai Bank Building and Fullerton Building

The first official Singapore branch of the Hongkong and Shanghai Bank was established in 1877 at Collyer Quay. In 1890, it bought over a site situated at the corner of Collyer Quay and Battery Road for a new building to house its offices. Construction works were completed in 1892, following which the bank moved in and operated from the same premises until the 1920s, when the structure was demolished and a new one was built in its place (left). In 1974, the bank moved temporarily into several floors of the neighbouring Ocean Building before moving back to the previous site in the 1980s, following the redevelopment of the office building. Sitting on the site where Fort Fullerton once guarded the mouth of the Singapore River, the Fullerton Building (right) housed the General Post Office and other government offices during the early half of the 20th century, before the outbreak of WWII. The building job was awarded to Perry & Co. Overseas Ltd, London, in 1924. The Fullerton Building, which features neoclassical architectural style, was officially opened by then Governor, Sir Hugh Clifford, in 1928.