The first Government House was a simple wooden house built atop Bukit Larangan (present-day Fort Canning) soon after the founding of Singapore in 1819. This structure was demolished in 1859 and a site along Orchard Road was purchased in 1867 for the construction of a new Government House, which was completed in 1869 under the direction of the architect Major J. F. A. McNair using Indian convict labour. Situated on the grounds of a former nutmeg estate, the building was designed in the Neo-Palladian style but incorporated elements of Malay architecture such as verandas, louvred windows and panelled doors to suit the tropical climate. The official residence of the Governor during colonial times, the building was renamed the Istana Negara (meaning national palace in Malay) following the granting of self-government in 1959 and is now the official residence of the President of Singapore. Within the sprawling grounds of the estate are three other buildings: Sri Temasek, Istana Villa and the Lodge.