On back: “Chinese Girls’ School, 1898”

Chinese Girls’ School was founded in 1842 by Maria Dyer (around 1803–1846) of the London Missionary Society. From 1853 its superintendent was British missionary Sophia Cooke (1814–1895), who passionately fought to house and educate abandoned and abused Chinese girls. From 1861 the school was located at Sophia Road. In 1949 the school was renamed St Margaret’s School, and now is the oldest girls’ school in Singapore.