Prominent landmarks shown in this picture of Orchard Road include (clockwise, from left to right): the Lido Theatre, built in 1958 for the Shaw Brothers film studio; the towering Shaw Centre, another property owned by Shaw Brothers that was constructed in the early 1970s; the Far East Plaza shopping and residential complex, developed by Far East Organization and opened in 1981; the 22-storey Hyatt Hotel, opened in 1971 and originally owned by International Hotels, a Hong Kong associate of local firm Yat Yuen Hong; the Scotts shopping complex, completed in 1983; and the oriental-themed Tangs Store, opened in 1982.Orchard Road, located in the central region of Singapore, began as a small country lane in the 1830s surrounded by nutmeg plantations, with spice gardens, pepper farms and fruit tree orchards later sprouting up in the area. Its name was thought to have been derived either from the orchards that once flanked either sides of the lane, or from a Mr. Orchid, who was a plantation owner in the area. By 1860, there were only a few nutmeg plantations left in the area following the worldwide drop in nutmeg prices. The areas surrounding Orchard Road were subsequently developed for residential purposes, with private houses and bungalows common along nearby Scotts and Tanglin Roads. One of the first major retailers to setup shop in the area was the Singapore Cold Storage, which opened a grocery shop along the street in 1905. However, major development of the area only began in the 1960s and by the 1970s, Orchard Road had been transformed into the tourist and shopping belt it is today.