The Youngberg Memorial Adventist Hospital at Upper Serangoon Road

The Youngberg Memorial Hospital was established in May 1948 in a two-storey colonial house situated at what was then the entrance of the Christian-Catholic section of the Bidadari Cemetery along Upper Serangoon Road. The hospital was funded by the American Seventh-Day Adventist Mission in Singapore and was first run by Dr. George G. Innocent, a medical practitioner from California who had previously worked in Korea and Siam. Named after Pastor G. B. Youngberg, an Adventist missionary who had served in Singapore and North Borneo for 26 years, the hospital initially had 20 beds, a laboratory and X-Ray facilities. A new two-storey wing was added to the hospital and officially opened by then Colonial Secretary W. L. Blythe in April 1952. In March 1973, the new surgical-maternity section of what was then called the Youngberg Memorial Adventist Hospital was opened by Member of Parliament (MP) Ivan Baptist. The Salvation Army has since taken over the hospital building and now uses the premises to house one of its Family Thrift Stores.