Constructed in 1950 at the cost of over $23,000, the Changi Cottage served as a holiday bungalow for senior members of the Singapore Government from the 1960s to 1980s, including then-Prime Minster Mr Lee Kuan Yew and his family.
High-key meetings were conducted at the bungalow when then-Prime Minster Mr Lee was in office. It was also famously known as the place where Mr Lee worked from after Singapore separated from Malaysia in 1965.
In January 1971, it was also reported on The Straits Times that then-British Foreign Secretary Sir Alex Douglas-Home and his wife spent a relaxing day at the bungalow.
The building is now part of the Civil Service Club.Buildings and sites featured on Roots.SG are part of our efforts to raise awareness of our heritage; a listing on Roots.SG does not imply any form of preservation or conservation status, unless it is mentioned in the article. The information in this article is valid as of July 2016 and is not intended to be an exhaustive history of the site/building.