The first post-World War II landmark at Orchard Road was MacDonald House, built by the Hong Kong & Shanghai Banking Corporation (HSBC) in 1949. The building was named after Malcolm John MacDonald, then Governor-General of Malaya.
Designed by architect Reginald Eyre of Palmer and Turner, MacDonald House was reported by newspapers to be “Malaya's First Completely Air-conditioned Building”. HSBC sold MacDonald House in 2003 and the building was gazetted a National Monument the same year.
HSBC’s logo can still be seen on a plaque on the front façade and HSBC monograms are evident on two balconies above the pavement. There is also a night-safe (deposit slot) on the building’s exterior, which was once used by HSBC’s clients to deposit money after the bank’s operating hours.