Prominent landmarks shown in this picture of Orchard Road include (from left to right): the Orchard Towers residential, office and shopping complex, completed in 1975 for Sime Darby Holdings; the 12-storey International Building, one of the first commercial high-rise structures in Singapore when it was developed by construction firm Yat Yuen Hong in the mid 1960s; and Lido Theatre and the neighbouring 10-storey Shaw House, both built in 1958 for the Shaw Brothers film studio.Orchard Road, located in the central region of Singapore, began as a small country lane in the 1830s surrounded by nutmeg plantations, with spice gardens, pepper farms and fruit tree orchards later sprouting up in the area. Its name was thought to have been derived either from the orchards that once flanked either sides of the lane, or from a Mr. Orchid, who was a plantation owner in the area. By 1860, there were only a few nutmeg plantations left in the area following the worldwide drop in nutmeg prices. The areas surrounding Orchard Road were subsequently developed for residential purposes, with private houses and bungalows common along nearby Scotts and Tanglin Roads. One of the first major retailers to setup shop in the area was the Singapore Cold Storage, which opened a grocery shop along the street in 1905. However, major development of the area only began in the 1960s and by the 1970s, Orchard Road had been transformed into the tourist and shopping belt it is today.