Night-time view of Christmas decorations along Scotts Road

Prominent landmarks shown in this picture of Scotts Road include (from left to right): the Far East Plaza shopping and residential complex, developed by Far East Organization and opened in 1981; the 22-storey Hyatt Hotel, opened in 1971 and originally owned by International Hotels, a Hong Kong associate of local firm Yat Yuen Hong; and the Scotts shopping complex with the Ascott residences above it, completed in 1983 and owned by the Jumabhoy family.Scotts Road was named after Captain William Scott, a rubber plantation owner who resided in the area between 1836 and 1861 in an attap house called ‘Hurricane Cottage’. Besides serving as a harbour master, Scott was also known for being a first cousin of the famous Scottish poet and novelist, Sir Walter Scott. Starting from the late 1960s, Scotts Road was gradually developed into a tourist and shopping belt along with neighbouring Orchard Road.