Located along South Bridge Road, the Sri Mariamman Temple is the oldest Hindu temple in Singapore. Popularly known as Mariamman Kovil or Kling Street Temple, the original structure was constructed of wood and attap in 1827. Construction works were carried out under the patronage of the Indian businessman Naraina Pillai, who wanted to pay homage to the goddess Mariamman, curer of diseases. A brick structure was built in 1843 using convict Indian labour, while the present structure is the result of various development and restoration works dating back to the 1860s. Gazetted as a national monument in 1973, the temple is still used today for various religious activities, the most notable being the Theemithi or fire-walking festival.