Interior of St. George's Church

Located at Minden Road, St. George’s Church started out as a garrison church in 1911, catering to the British troops stationed at the Tanglin Barracks. The Anglican church was noted for its architectural style as well, with its stone-vaulted naves and distinctly designed red brick layout. With a rich past that has also seen its premises serve as an ammunition depot for the Japanese during World War II, St. George’s Church was transferred to the Anglican Diocese of Singapore when the British withdrew in 1971, becoming a civilian church, and remains so today. The church was gazetted as a National Monument in November 1978.