Built to honour businessman and philanthropist Tan Kim Seng, the Victorian-style fountain was erected in Fullerton Square in 1882. It was shifted to the Esplanade (later known as Queen Elizabeth Walk) in 1925. Queen Elizabeth Walk was named after Queen Elizabeth II to commemorate her coronation and rise to the throne in 1953. This photograph was donated by Si Jing (pen name of Ng Soo Lui), a prolific female writer in the Chinese community who has written extensively on her childhood and life in Chinatown. Her husband, Huang Da Li, was an amateur photographer.