Singapore Polytechnic (Dover Road)


Singapore Polytechnic
500 Dover Road Singapore 139651
Get Directions

Singapore Polytechnic at Dover Road was built on the site of the previous Princess Mary Barracks, which was occupied by the British and Malayan soldiers from 1951 to the early 1970s. The construction of the school campus began in 1974 and was completed four years later in 1978. The completed campus was opened by then Prime Minister Mr Lee Kuan Yew on 7 July 1978.

The Moberly Block is a former British military building that has been incorporated as part of the campus from the very beginning. The former barrack block was named after Major-General Richard James Moberly, who co-established the Royal Signal Corps. It was later used by Singapore Polytechnic's Civil Engineering and Building Department and the School of Nautical Studies. The building was refurbished in 2008 into a student activities hub. A section of the building houses a museum which displays memorabilia such as military insignia, old trophies and teaching aids donated by former soldiers and school alumni and staff.

Buildings and sites featured on Roots.SG are part of our efforts to raise awareness of our heritage; a listing on Roots.SG does not imply any form of preservation or conservation status, unless it is mentioned in the article. The information in this article is valid as of July 2016 and is not intended to be an exhaustive history of the site/building.