The compound of Ascott Centre for Excellence was originally the campus for Anthony Road Girls' School. The school was one of the first four “emergency” schools that were built in 1950, under the Supplementary Education Plan launched to provide schools to absorb the growing population of children of school-going age, who had no schools to go to.
Anthony Road Girls' School closed in 1980 and the compound was used as a temporary holding campus for other schools for the next few years. Chao Yang Special School, which provided education for children with special needs, moved into the compound in 1986. The school moved to its new premises in Ang Mo Kio in 2006 and the compound is now occupied by Ascott Centre for Excellence, which provides training for the hospitality sector.
Buildings and sites featured on Roots.SG are part of our efforts to raise awareness of our heritage; a listing on Roots.SG does not imply any form of preservation or conservation status, unless it is mentioned in the article. The information in this article is valid as of July 2016 and is not intended to be an exhaustive history of the site/building.