The Kheng Chiu building houses the Kheng Chiu Tin Hou Kong (琼州天后宫), a Chinese temple dedicated to the Chinese seafaring goddess Mazu, and the Kheng Chiu Hwee Kuan (琼州会馆), the main Hainanese clan association in Singapore.
Established in 1857, the temple and clan association initially occupied three adjoining shophouses at 6 Malabar Street. It then constructed a Hainanese temple with courtyard configuration at Beach Road in 1880. The current seven-storey building was built in 1962; a covered walkway was added to connect the main tower block and the old temple. The clan association has a large membership of more than 5,000 individuals and 50 corporate members.
Buildings and sites featured on Roots.SG are part of our efforts to raise awareness of our heritage; a listing on Roots.SG does not imply any form of preservation or conservation status, unless it is mentioned in the article. The information in this article is valid as of July 2016 and is not intended to be an exhaustive history of the site/building.