The three-storey Neoclassical former Fairfield Methodist Girl's School features a rarely-seen broken pediment and urn ornament on the top of the building's central bay. It was the second building used by the Fairfield Methodist School.
Founded in August 1888 by Miss Sophia Blackmore, the school was originally named Telok Ayer Girls' School, after its location at Telok Ayer. Its history, however, can be traced back to early 1888, when Miss Blackmore taught a class of eight Nonya girls in a small room at Cross Street. During the time, the school was known as the Anglo-Chinese Girls' School. Later in 1912, then principal Miss Mary-Olson successfully raised funds to construct a new building for the school on Neil Road. The new school was named Fairfield Girls' School, in honour of Mr Fairfield, the biggest donor during the fundraising process.
By 1958, the school adopted the new name of Fairfield Methodist Girls’ School to reflect the school's Christian background. The school moved out in 1983 as the building could no longer accommodate the growing student body. The building was vacant for nearly 30 years before becoming the Ministry of Home Affair's Home Team Career Centre after extensive restoration in 2013.
Buildings and sites featured on Roots.SG are part of our efforts to raise awareness of our heritage; a listing on Roots.SG does not imply any form of preservation or conservation status, unless it is mentioned in the article. The information in this article is valid as of July 2016 and is not intended to be an exhaustive history of the site/building.