Formerly known as the Singapore Sam Kiang Office from 1906 to 1926, the association was renamed Sam Kiang Huay Kwan in 1927. The definition of the term ‘Sam Kiang’ was also broadened to include immigrants from provinces along the Yangtze River, Yellow River and Heilongjiang.
The original office was located in Jalan Ampas for the convenience of the Sam Kiang clansmen; many of whom lived in the Tanglin and Orchard Road areas. Over the years, the association moved around various sites before calling the present-day Wilkie Road premises home on 15 July 1996.
A Hybrid of Modern and Traditional Architecture
Located next to the Church of Christ of Malaya on Wilkie Road, Sam Kiang Huay Kwan is a two-storey shophouse with an overall architectural style that encompasses modernism with traditional Chinese elements. An arch is seen over the main entrance and a traditional Chinese name plague hangs over the main door.
The building has two frontages. The primary frontage which faces Wilkie Road, has a paved footpath, a double-pitched roof and aluminium framed glass doors and windows with pre-casted concrete vents. The rear frontage, with its lean-to roofs, faces Sophia Road, and serves as the entrance to the Sam Kiang Huay Kwan Charity Clinic.
Contributing to the Community
Under its longest serving President, Mr Chwee Meng Chong, the association founded many services and contributed charitably to the society.
To fund their charitable causes, the association proposed the development of the Sam Kiang Mansion in 1996. The $30 million project was completed in 1999 and spanned 20-storeys. The units were sold or rented out, and rental income was used to support the association’s recurrent expenditures, cultural, educational and welfare services.
The Sam Kiang Charity Clinic is one of their many charitable endeavours. Today, it continues to provide patients with better access to healthcare regardless of race.
Centennial History of the Association
To celebrate their centennial history, the first Sam Kiang Clansmen International Convention cum centenary celebration was held on September 18, 2001. Guests from various Sam Kiang delegations in China, Malaysia, Australia, United States and Singapore came together to commemorate the momentous occasion.
During the convention, the association released a souvenir volume titled ‘One Hundred Years’ Culture History of the Sam Kiang Clansmen’, documenting their migration, settlement and achievements.
Sam Kiang Huay Kwan’s contributions and efforts to support society, young or old, will continue to be remembered for years to come.
Buildings and sites featured on Roots.SG are part of our efforts to raise awareness of our heritage; a listing on Roots.gov.sg does not imply any form of preservation or conservation status, unless it is mentioned in the article. The information in this article is valid as of June 2020 and is not intended to be an exhaustive history of the site/building.