Thye Hong Red Lion assorted biscuits tin

This is a tin for storing biscuits and has the distinct logo of the red lion form the local well-known brand. Thye Hong Biscuit and Confectionery Factory (1929-1990) is one of the oldest biscuit manufacturers in Singapore. Owned by Lee Gee Chong, the factory was first set at 124 Neil Road. Later a bigger factor was built at the junction of Alexandra Road and Tiong Bahru road in 1935. It was automated and could produce some 10-12 tonnes of biscuits every day. Despite various setbacks and tragedies that plagued the family-run company the factory thrived and in the 1960s employed more than 200 workers. Bought over by Huntley and Palmer in 1981, the factory stopped producing in 1982. Although Thye Hong biscuits were sold under other brands till 1990.