Supreme Court and City Hall

This photograph is part of a series which depicts the sights and scenes of 19th and 20th century Singapore.The Supreme Court was opened on 3 August 1939 by Sir Shenton Thomas, Governor of the Straits Settlements. The Corinthian and Ionic columns as well as the sculptures were created by Calvalieri Rudolfo Nolli. Its architecture was intended to complement the Municipal Building located next to it. The Municipal Building was built between 1926 and 1929. In 1951, the building name was changed to City Hall.