The Singapore orchid spoon collection was presented to Mrs. Amy Ede nee Laycock, the adoptive daughter of John Laycock and one of the first women to serve in the City Council in the 1950s. John Laycock was a British lawyer who founded one of Singapore’s earliest law firms, Laycock and Ong. He set up the Mandai Orchid Garden (which has moved to Kranji) in 1951. Mrs. Ede helped her father run the garden after quitting politics. She passed away in 2007.