The original structure of the Jamae Mosque was built sometime in 1826-1827 along South Bridge Road by the Tamil Muslim Chulia merchant community, under the leadership of Anser Saib. A more permanent structure was erected between 1830 and 1835, which consisted of a main gateway done in the South Indian style, with a miniature palace facade flanked by two domed-topped minarets. The interior shrine and prayer halls, however, display European neoclassical and Chinese architectural influences. Gazetted as a national monument in 1974, the mosque has been under the charge of the Islamic Religious Council of Singapore (Majlis Ugama Islam Singapura) since 1968.The Hong Kong and Singapore Battalion Royal Garrison Artillery (or Royal Garrison Artillery in short) was a British military unit comprised of Sikh and Muslim troops from Punjabi commanded by British officers. Originally formed in Hong Kong in 1841 as the China Gun Lascars, it was subsequently renamed the Hong Kong Asiatic Artillery in 1891. A Singapore Company of Asiatic Artillery was established that same year and assigned to man the coastal batteries at Pulau Blakang Mati (Island Behind Death), which was an important military base used by the British for the defence of the port of Singapore. Renamed the Royal Garrison Artillery in 1898, the unit later became involved in the suppression of the Singapore Indian Mutiny of 1915. In 1934, the unit underwent another name change to become the Hong Kong and Singapore Royal Artillery, and was finally disbanded in 1946.