Raffles Place, Kling Street and Finlayson Green by C.J. Kleingrothe

Established as Singapore’s commercial/business centre in the 1820s, it was originally known as Commercial Square. It was renamed Raffles Place in 1858. Kling Street got its name from the number of South Indian men or men from Kalinga working in the area. Due to its derogatory meaning, Kling Street was eventually changed to Chulia Street.Finlayson Green was named after John Finlayson, the head of Boustead and Company, and the chairman of the Singapore Chamber of Commerce.