This is a photograph of Capitol Theatre in the 1950s. The Capitol Theatre was built by the Namazie brothers, a Persian family, in 1929. It was designed by the Shanghai-based Keys and Dowdeswell. Its neo-classic colonnades and wide overhang lend a glorious charm to this building. In 1946, Shaw Organisation bought over the building for S$3 million. The 1950s saw the introduction of the Capitol Restaurant that housed the Blue Room, a function room which served as a refuge for local bands. An American band led by Danny Danford performed for its opening. The famous zodiac mosaic on the high ceiling of the dome interior was installed in the mid-60s. The pair of maidens on white unicorns was added to the beauty of Capitol Cinema. This became the legendary symbols of the cinema.