The Main Building of Raffles Hotel

The Main Building of Raffles Hotel, renowned for its neo-Renaissance style, opened in November 1899, 12 years after the hotel first opened its doors. Starting out as a three-storey, 10-room bungalow, Raffles Hotel was founded by the Sarkies brothers, owners of the Eastern & Oriental Hotel in Penang. Illustrious names, including Joseph Conrad and Rudyard Kipling, counted as some of Raffles Hotel's earliest guests. The hotel continued to play host to famous personalities such as Somerset Maugham and Charlie Chaplin throughout the early 20th century.