Yeung Ching School desk and chair set

This wooden desk and chair set was used by students of Yeung Ching School.The Chinese medium school was founded between 1905 and 1906 by a group of Cantonese businessmen. The school building at Club Street was completed in 1908. After the Japanese Occupation, plans to build a new school building commenced after the management committee agreed that the existing building was too old and was unable to accommodate the increasing number of students. The construction of the new school building was done in three phases. The old building was demolished section by section while school lessons continued without interruption. Construction started in 1957 and was completed in 1965.In 1988 the school relocated to Serangoon Avenue 3 and is now known as Yangzheng Primary School.