The Teutonia Club, shown in this photograph, was established to cater to the social life and recreational needs of the German community in Singapore. Founded in 1856, it was officially opened in September 1900. The Club was known for its musical events and it often held activities to raise funds for charity. The outbreak of WWI in 1914 saw the closure of the Club after it was declared enemy property. It was converted into a hotel in 1929 after which it served as a residence for Japanese officers during WWII and was later used as a War Crimes Trial Court. The building resumed its hotel operations in 1947 and is known today as Goodwood Park Hotel.