Havelock Road

The centre of arrack manufacture in the city, Havelock Road was named in 1858 in memory of the British hero General Henry Havelock who died of dysentry during the Indian Mutiny of 1857. In 1886, the Chinese Protectorate building was erected on this road, however, it was demolished in 1930 to make way for a larger building which is now used by the Ministry of Labour.