View of Hong Lim Green

This photograph shows Hong Lim Green - now known as Hong Lim Park - and the junction of New Bridge and Canal Roads. The pavilion seen on the right hand corner belonged to the Straits Chinese Recreation Club, which was established in January 1885. The park was originally known as Dunman Green, named after the first Superintendent of Police who retired in 1871. The name was changed to Hong Lim Green after the philanthropist Cheang Hong Lim converted the space into a public garden, one of Singapore's earliest.