Opened in 1937, Kallang Airport was the first purpose-built civilian aerodrome in Singapore. Situated on reclaimed land around the Kallang Basin, the airport was designed to serve both land and sea planes. The crowning glory of the facility was the main terminal building, which had a control tower and two side blocks decorated in the Art Deco style. The airport ceased operations in 1955 following the opening of the new Paya Lebar Airport. The main terminal was subsequently used to house the Public Works Department (PWD) and People’s Association (PA). The vacant terminal building has since been earmarked for redevelopment by the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) in line with plans to convert the surrounding area into a lifestyle, entertainment and retail cluster.