The Haw Par Villa, a luxurious mansion situated atop a hill at Pasir Panjang, was commissioned by Chinese businessman Aw Boon Haw to serve as a residence for his brother Aw Boon Par. Completed in 1937, the villa was designed by architect Ho Kwong Yew and featured opulent, gold gilded domes. Both brothers were famous for being the creators of a popular pain-relieving ointment called Tiger Balm, and the fortune made from selling the product helped fund the expensive building project. The grounds surrounding the villa were developed into an oriental theme park known as the Tiger Balm Gardens, which featured sculptures depicting various hellish scenes from Chinese folklore. While the villa has since been demolished, the theme park, now referred to simply as Haw Par Villa, continues to function mainly as a tourist attraction.