Hotel van Wijk in Singapore

Located at the junction of Stamford Road and Victoria Street, Hotel van Wijk was owned by Hendrik van Wijk, which catered mainly to Dutch and European travellers. The hotel closed down in 1931 and the four bungalow buildings were taken over in 1933 by the adjoining Convent of Holy Infant Jesus (CHIJ) to house St. Nicholas Girls’ School. The buildings were demolished in 1949 to make way for a new three-storey school building. It was later demolished again after CHIJ moved out of its Victoria Street premises in 1983. The land is currently occupied by the SMRT headquarters.