This postcard is part of a set acquired by the museum. The collection provides a glimpse into the physical and social landscape of Singapore during the 19th and 20th century which were characterised by European colonialism, the Japanese Occupation, and the post-war years. These postcards also give a glimpse into the type of architecture that was seen in Singapore in those days, as well as the range of activities, businesses, trades, and industries that the people of Singapore were involved in at that time. Some of these postcards still contain the original handwriting of the senders themselves.Originally built as a private mansion and completed between 1826 and 1827, it was Singapore’s first courthouse, which was later turned into the Assembly House and in 1965, the Parliament House. Located at the front of the building is a bronze elephant statue, a gift from King Chulalongkorn of Siam (Thailand) when he visited Singapore in 1871. The Court House is now known as the Arts House.