Established in 1858, the Char Yong Association started off as a Chinese clan association for Hakka immigrants from Dabu, a county in Guangdong Province, China. The association provided basic social welfare services for the community through the establishment of facilities such as the Fei Choon Kwan clinic in 1890 and the Khee Fatt school in 1906. After occupying various premises, the association’s headquarters and its affiliated school shifted to Cairnhill Road in 1947. Following a fundraising drive, a new building was constructed in 1958 to house both the school and offices of the association. In 1985, the building was demolished to make way for a condominium project called Char Yong Gardens.