A view of Johnston's Pier

This view from a balcony on Collyer Quay, depicts Johnston's Pier shortly after completion. Built in 1855, it was named after Alexander Johnston, a doyen of the European mercantile community who founded the firm A.C. Johnston & Co. Gharries, or horse-drawn carriages, could be spotted along the pier, but by 1880 they were replaced by rickshaws, which became an overwhelmingly popular mode of transportation. Johnston’s Pier was demolished in 1933, only to be replaced by Clifford Pier.