Masjid Hajjah Rahimabi Kebun Limau was built in 1984. The mosque was named after Kebun Limau (Malay for “lime garden”), an old place name for the area which had many lime trees in the late 1800s. It was also named after philanthropist Hajjah Rahima Bee Ahmad Angullia.
The origins of this mosque date back to 1959 when Muslim residents of the surrounding area requested for land to build a surau (“prayer hall”). After the community was granted this plot of land in 1961, each Muslim family in the area contributed $20 to build Surau Kebun Limau, which opened in 1964. The surau was upgraded and renamed Masjid Kebun Limau in 1974.
By the mid-1970s, the number of Muslim families in the neighbourhood had grown to about 1,000. The community sought to raise funds to build a larger mosque and received a generous donation from Hajjah Rahima Bee, who made the donation in memory of her daughter, who died in 1976. The rebuilt mosque opened in 1984.
Hajjah Rahima Bee also wanted to continue her family’s tradition of building mosques. For instance, her grandfather, Mohammed Salleh Eusoofjee Angullia, built Angullia Mosque at Serangoon Road in the 1890s, while her father, Ahmed Mohamed Salleh Angullia, built the former Angullia Park Mosque near Orchard Road in 1933.
Other Suggested Short Trail Routes
- Historical Landmarks of Balestier, 1.7km: 45 min; on foot
- Building Balestier, 3km (4km including optional sites): 2 hours; on foot (2 hours including optional sides)
- Faith, Film and Food, 2.3km: 1 hour 30 min; on foot