This blue-and-white gilded porcelain with qilin and phoenix motifs might have been commissioned by the family of Cheang Hong Lim, as evident from the mark of生 苑, or Wan Seng, Cheang’s other name and also the name of his company. Cheang Hong Lim (1825-1893) was highly regarded in the Singapore Hokkien Chinese/Peranakan community as a merchant and philanthropist. He was appointed Justice of Peace in 1876 and contributed generously to the funding of temples and charitable causes. Two places in Singapore are named after him including Cheang Wan Seng Place and Hong Lim Park. This kind of porcelain is among the finest of blue-and-white pieces used by Peranakans.

Date/Period
Mid-late 19th century
Region
Singapore
Dimension
Object size: 2.5 x 10.7 cm
Accession No.
2012-00205
Material
Porcelain
Collection of
Peranakan Museum
Credit Line
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Lee Kip Lee
Category
Ceramics