View of Fort Canning

Taken from Fort Canning Hill, this photograph depicts the Singapore River in the distance. Fort Canning was also known by various names, such as Bukit Larangan, Forbidden Hill and Government Hill. Among its many uses, Fort Canning was the home of the Resident and the location of the first botanic gardens. This photograph was taken by Sachtler and Co., which operated a studio in High Street from the early 1860s until 1874, where they sold photographs of scenes taken around Singapore.

Date/Period
1860s-1870s
Region
Singapore
Dimension
Image size: 19.9 x 26.1 cm
Accession No.
1995-00909
Collection of
National Museum of Singapore
Category
Photographs and Negatives