Far East Plaza and Hyatt Hotel at Scotts Road

Prominent landmarks shown in this picture of Scotts Road include the Far East Plaza (left) shopping and residential complex, developed by Far East Organization and opened in 1981; and the 22-storey Hyatt Hotel (right), opened in 1971 and originally owned by International Hotels, a Hong Kong associate of local firm Yat Yuen Hong.Scotts Road was named after Captain William Scott, a rubber plantation owner who resided in the area between 1836 and 1861 in an attap house called ‘Hurricane Cottage’. Besides serving as a harbour master, Scott was also known for being a first cousin of the famous Scottish poet and novelist, Sir Walter Scott. Starting from the late 1960s, Scotts Road was gradually developed into a tourist and shopping belt along with neighbouring Orchard Road.