The origins of the National University of Singapore (NUS), the oldest tertiary institution on the island, can be traced back to the establishment of the Straits Settlements and Federated Malay States Government Medical School in 1905. The medical school was renamed the King Edward VII Medical School in 1913 and subsequently the King Edward VII College of Medicine in 1921. The medical college merged with Raffles College in 1949 to form the University of Malaya, which set up separate divisions in Singapore and Malaya in 1959. The Singapore section became the University of Singapore in 1962 after both governments decided to establish their own national universities. Most departments of the university were situated at the Bukit Timah campus, with the gradual shift to the Kent Ridge site starting in 1969 and completed in 1986. NUS was formed in 1980 following the merger between the University of Singapore and Nanyang University.