The Anderson Bridge

Situated at the mouth of the Singapore River between Empress Place on the north bank and Collyer Quay on the south bank, the Anderson Bridge was completed in 1910 and named after Sir John Anderson, Governor of the Straits Settlements and High Commissioner for the Federated Malay States (1904-1911). The bridge was built as a replacement for Cavenagh Bridge situated further upriver, which could not handle vehicular traffic and was too low for vessels to pass under at high tide. On the other hand, the design of Anderson Bridge featured three steel arches which enabled it to bear the heavier loads of vehicular traffic. Following the opening of the new bridge, Cavenagh Bridge was retained for pedestrian use. During the Japanese Occupation, the steel columns of the bridge were used by the occupiers to display the heads of suspected spies. The bridge underwent major refurbishment works in 1987 and continues to serve as an important carriageway for vehicles crossing the river.