Opened in 1903, the Singapore-Kranji line was the first major rail network in Singapore. It ran from Tank Road to Bukit Timah, and extended to Woodlands. The line was further extended to Pasir Panjang in 1907. Following the completion of the Causeway linking Singapore to the Malayan Peninsula in 1923, the Malayan railway network and the Singapore line became linked. This allowed goods and passengers to be transported seamlessly between the island and the mainland. In 2010, an agreement was reached between the Malaysian and Singapore governments to relocate the railway and checkpoint operations at Tanjong Pagar to a new station in Woodlands.