A view of South Bridge Road

The postcard depicts the view along South Bridge Road taken from above the Mosque Street corner. The road was constructed by convict labour in 1833. Built by Chulia Muslims from India's Coromandel Coast between 1830 and 1855, the twin minarets of the Jamae Mosque, also known as Chulia Mosque, can be seen on the right. In the background is the gate tower or ’gopuram’ of the Hindu Sri Mariamman temple. The temple was built between 1827 and 1843 by Naraina Pillay, a Hindu trader from Penang.