The Capitol Building

The Capitol Building, situated at the junction of Stamford Road and North Bridge Road, was completed in 1933. The four-storey structure was erected next to the Capitol Theatre, which was built three years earlier. Both structures were designed by architectural firm Keys and Dowdeswell in the neoclassical style. Originally owned by the Persian Namazie brothers, the entire complex was bought over by Shaw Organisation in 1946 to serve as its flagship cinema and entertainment venue. The building housed various food outlets such as the Capitol Restaurant and the Magnolia Snack Bar, the latter popular with filmgoers for its milkshakes. There are currently plans underway to redevelop the building, which is still in use by various retailers, and the adjoining Capitol Theatre and Stamford House into an arts or entertainment-related venue while preserving its architectural integrity.