This photograph depicts a giant poster for a play to be staged at Palacegay Theatre. This now demolished theatre was believed to have been built in 1921 along North Bridge Road. The cinema had its name altered a few times, but was better known as Palacegay before the war and Toho Gekizyo during the Japanese Occupation. Shaw Brothers Limited bought over the theatre in 1946 and had it renamed Oriental Theatre. Oriental Theatre was competing with the Majestic Theatre, another cinema in Chinatown established a few years later. The Majestic Theatre was owned by Cathay Organisation, which was a competitor of Shaw Brothers in the Chinese film industry.